For all you sweet lovers looking for alternative pastries to stay fit for the upcoming summer months and bikini weather, here’s a great recipe for you! Just for some background information, I came up with this recipe because I am allergic to egg yolk and milk. Furthermore, I am very health conscious and always watch what I eat, but like most people, I am guilty of the occasional sweet tooth. So, here is my take on brownies. Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Earth Balance Organic Whipped Buttery Spread (or Coconut Spread) at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped fuji apples
- ½ cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until thoroughly mixed and creamy. Beat in the egg whites, and stir in the vanilla extract until well mixed. Mix in salt, baking soda, baking powder, flour, rolled oats, plus chocolate chips, apples, coconut, raisins, and chopped nuts if desired. Mix well to moisten all ingredients, and spread by hand into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let finished brownies cool in pan for about 5 minutes before separating into bars.